A small fire (and related damage) at one of our timber bridge make us close the bridge (it was 2 tonne due to its very poor condition anyways) opened up this discussions again.
I would appreciate, if any one has gone pass insurance aspects for the Timber bridges?
Some of the points:
- The replacement cost (new one may not be timber bridge) and to upgrade it to new requirements etc make it difficult to come up with "insurable market value"
- Replacement may trigger realignment in rural area
- The excess might be high for incidental damage (such as we have for fire or even due to flood)
- Natural disaster funding (due to complete flood washout and bush fires)
- Damage due to heavy vehicle (e.g. overloaded etc) is covered under motor vehicle third party damage
Program Leader - Road Asset Management
Logan City Council